Saturday, December 28, 2013

What Christmas means to me

Meant to send this to my husband...but never had the time!

The joy in Christmas for me has always been in the gifts. Buying them, wrapping them, watching you guys unwrap them, and of course, unwrapping my own. When it's all over, the only part of Christmas I keep with me is the limited amount of time that I actually use the gifts. And, as you know, that is very limited. This year,I realized I've been doing it wrong. Yes, watching Karly unwrap gifts makes me feel good. But, it never last. In fact, I am usually upset with her when she isn't enjoying all the news things we "spent so much money on". As I write that, I realize how ridiculous that sounds. Christmas has nothing to do with the amount of money we spend on gifts. It's not about a Christmas tree. Or about decorating the house. Christmas is about appreciating that Jesus died to save us from, well, ourselves. And. as if that wasn't enough. he, from the day we were born has continued to watch over us. To protect us. To heal us. To comfort us. I've been trying to fill my Christmas with things I buy at Walmart and Target. And, I've missed that my gifts are already at home. I didn't have to buy them. Jesus bought them for me when he died on the cross. He bought Karly, and Kira, and Korra. And you. He bought our health. He bought our safety. He bought our lives. This year, when Christmas is over, I won't loose the Christmas spirit after my new gift has lost it's sparkle. This year, i will remember and be thankful for Christmas every time I see you and the girls. You guys are my Christmas gifts every day. 

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it sad how commercialized Christmas has become? I keep reminding my boys that Christmas is a season for giving, not gifting.
    Hi! Stopping by from Mom Bloggers Club. Great blog!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete